Tuesday, October 27, 2009

On the petting zoo front.

Okay, so one or two of my 3 or 4 readers probably know about the zoo that lives here. 4 dogs and 6 cats. Some of you might remember the addition last year of Roxy-pup, the darling little submissive lab. And then there's Sadie, the 10 year old leader of the pack.

And all that was true until yesterday. Yesterday the submissive darling decided she should be the leader of the pack. Now Sadie is a very large dog, so 10 is quite old for her breed which has an average life span (on paper) of 7-9 years. Sadie also had an artificial hip, and arthritis, and a playful streak that pops up here and there.

Scene: Mama and Sadie are playing in the growly way they always have - in which Sadie sounds like she is going to kill Mama, but instead licks her to death. Roxy the submissive darling comes to investigate/join in the fun - so I thought.

Instead Roxy attacks Sadie and despite Mama pulling her off repeatedly, hitting her with the chucket ball launcher plastic thing, yelling, etc, Roxy will not stop, she was a dog I didn't recognize in that moment. As Sadie yelps and screams, I finally get Roxy to stop and she runs to the other side of the yard. As I am trying to help Sadie up (her legs went out from under her, prompting Mama to freak about her hips) Roxy decides to come back and go after her from behind. Now keep in mind Sadie is twice Roxy's size, but it mattered not a bit as youth overpowered size.

I drug Roxy in the house and locked her in the bathroom, got Sadie inside and checked her over and discovered copious amounts of blood pouring from somewhere in the vicinity of her head. Turns out it was an ear, which in one way was comforting because ears can be only mildly injured and still bleed tons. After making sure there were no life threatening injuries, I let Roxy out of the bathroom, holding on to her of course, and she immediately acts like she wants to go in for round 2. I was bewildered to see my submissive baby behaving this way, when the day before she was cowing to Sadie's obvious authority as she had since 8 weeks old.

I put her on her back in the submissive position, and try to get Sadie to come over, to reestablish her authority. To which Sadie replied, with a clear look, "do you think I'm nuts Mom?"

I then took Sadie into the bathroom for a clearer look at her injury and to clean and treat. Upon closer inspection, the small tear I thought she had, turned out to be a rather nasty puncture wound. Clip, flush, clean with hibiclens, and apply lidocane antiseptic lotion. Call the vet. Today we are going in for antibiotics, a necessary precaution given her age and fragile health. And money i don't really have to spend, but anything for my baby. I love them all but Sadie is my #1.

The theory behind this incident - according to the vet - is that between 14-16 months some dogs suddenly decide they are top dog, even if they have been bottom dog for a year. And they get the mind set "I'll kill you to prove it". Also, since Roxy is so bonded to me, she may have thought Sadie was a threat to me, by all the growly play. My plan was to reestablish Sadie's position as top dog, I have been told this would be a mistake.

My problem now is that I am having a hard time seeing Roxy the same, or trusting her to be left alone with Sadie, or even to be in the same room. I know dogs feed off of their humans emotions and I don't want to make the problem worse by being nervous around them.

Not sure what to do....but i am really hoping this was an isolated incident.

As for Sadie, she is stiff and sore and obviously not happy today. Maybe the vet can give her something for pain.

And all this happened while Mama is trying to recover from the flu...supposedly not the porcine variety, but enough to have been on Tamaflu and in bed for the last week, and to end up in ER a few days ago with the most excruciating back pain and spasms I have ever felt. Apparently the flu can be tricky and settle in strange places and cause strange things. Valium is apparently the cure. I was feeling fairly good yesterday, until the fight, which i think set be back a day, at least i hope it's only a day.

Hope all of you are well
And did you notice not one mention of K in this post? No I haven't totally come to my senses and grown a backbone, but we haven't seen each other, and have hardly spoken in a week. probably because we've both slept most of the last week, she has the flu too. She was thrilled when the Doctor told me I was worse than she was. I was less than thrilled. Thrilled because Kelly is always the sickest one, so she was happy to be the healthier one this time.

Okay so I ALMOST made it through without a mention....that's progress, eh?

3 comments:

twomomsforus said...

Unless you can afford Cesar Milan, I'd use caution with the dogs. We had the same thing happen and never recovered. The big dogs now live separate, solitary lives, each with own crate to sleep in at night and own 10x10 run outside. It's a sad life and hard on the adults. But it's the only way to prevent a fight to the death. DP and I have the bite scars to prove it became hopeless. I will never own more than one dog at a time when these are gone.

Melody said...

Wow...that's interesting. Sounds like you did a great job with your dogs. I think I would have freaked out at all the blood not knowing where it was coming from. Glad all is well!

mischief said...

Hey friend. It was so nice to meet up with you the other night. I hope things are settling at home and that you can reestablish harmony in Camp Canine. I don't know if this is true... but have been told that if Mama is strong enough alpha, the rest of the pack doesn't have to fight for the role. I guess that's easier said when your pups are 12 pounds though, right?

I hope the flu doesn't last long. Meanwhile, lots of fluid and lots of rest.

And lots of love,
Me. xxx